Privacy Notice: Heathrow Expansion Airport Expansion Consultation
For further information please go to our Cookies section:
Go there now
This privacy notice tells you what to expect when you provide your personal information to Heathrow Airport Ltd (Heathrow) in connection with the Airport Expansion Consultation.
Heathrow is committed to protecting your personal information. Whenever you provide personal information we are legally obliged to use it in line with all applicable laws concerning the protection of personal data, including the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the Data Protection Act 2018.
What is the Airport Expansion Consultation?
The Airport Expansion Consultation is a statutory 12 and a half-week consultation on Heathrow’s expansion plans, and will be open between 18 June 2019 and 13 September 2019. During the Airport Expansion Consultation, you will be able to submit your views on the expansion plans by post or by using our online form HERE.
What information is collected when using the “Protect Your Response” and “Complete Later” facilities on the online form?
If you use our online form to submit your views, you will be provided with two facilities, which are to either “Protect Your Response” or “Complete Later”. If you use either of these facilities, Heathrow will collect and use your email address in order to send you a URL (a website link) that is unique to you only. We will email this link to you so that, providing you save your responses using the button, you can return to them at any time should you get disconnected or wish to complete your response over a number of days. The facility is open until the closure of the consultation. All responses must still be completed by 23:55 on September 13th 2019. In the final week of consultation, Heathrow may send a reminder so that you do not miss your opportunity to respond.
Email addresses collected for use of the “Protect Your Response” or “Complete Later” facilities are only used for the successful operation of these facilities, they will not be attached to your final submission (although you may choose to provide your email address in the course of submitting your views, as described below).
What data is collected when submitting my views?
When you submit your views to Heathrow in connection with the Airport Expansion Consultation, whether through our online form or by post, we will collect the following information about you:
- Email address; and
- Any additional items of information that you choose to provide in the course of submitting your views (please see “Who will have access to my information?” below).
We will also collect certain information automatically when you visit our website. This will include your IP Address and Browser ID; the combination of these two pieces of information enable the identification of a specific computer or other network device on the internet. For more information, see our section on Cookies.
How will Heathrow use the information it collects about me?
Heathrow will use your personal information for a number of purposes, including the following:
- To record accurately and analyse any questions you raise during the Airport Expansion Consultation or feedback you have provided in response to the Airport Expansion Consultation;
- To report on the Airport Expansion Consultation, setting out what issues have been raised and how we have responded to that feedback;
- To ensure the safety of our staff.
Heathrow will use the information, along with the responses provided to help enable us to develop our designs further.
Who will have access to my information?
We will keep personal information within Heathrow and our trusted third parties except where disclosure is required by law, for example to government bodies and law enforcement agencies. Your information will be handled and may be used by the following recipients in order to provide this service:
- Postcode Checking Webservice: We use a third party webservice to enable the postcode and address look-up facility on the Airport Expansion Consultation website. The webservice will not retain your information;
- Response Review Team: We use a UK based third party to analyse consultation responses and pass the results and data to Heathrow;
- Professional advisors: We engage the services of professional advisors in the UK who may receive your personal information to provide advice in connection with Heathrow’s expansion plans;
- Website Management: We use a UK based third party to host, design and support the Airport Expansion Consultation website on behalf of Heathrow;
- Email Webservice: We use this webservice to relay emails from this website to you in order to provide URLs for users to complete their responses at a later date, and also to provide an email receipt upon submission of a response. Personal details will be stored on this secure facility for no more than 30 days. Please refer to “How long will Heathrow keep my information?” for more information about data retention and removal. Your information will be processed in the UK, however email records will be stored on US based servers. This transfer of personal information is carried out on the basis of the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield Framework.
We may be required to make copies of responses to the Airport Expansion Consultation available to the Secretary of State and/or the Planning Inspectorate. We will request that personal information is not placed on the public record, however, please note the Secretary of State and/or the Planning Inspectorate may use any personal information that is disclosed to them in accordance with their own privacy policies, over which we have no control. We recommend that you do not include any information in your response to the Airport Expansion Consultation that you would not want to be viewed by these third parties, or potentially to be placed on the public record.
Optional Equalities Survey
To demonstrate that Heathrow is engaging with and seeking the views of, the widest possible range of local residents and communities, we are inviting you to provide the information set out below, but only if you are over the age of 18 and you wish to do so. You are under no obligation to provide it and it will not affect the consideration of your consultation responses:
- Identity assigned at birth;
- Sexual Orientation;
- Whether you consider you have a disability;
- Details of religion or belief;
- Whether you are or have recently been, pregnant;
- Marital or Civil Partnership status.
At the point you voluntarily submit responses, the information will be collected by a third party called Mott MacDonald PLC. The information you provide will be held separately from the personal information and consultation views referenced above. The information will be aggregated and used for statistical purposes only. Your responses to the equalities survey will NOT be linked to your IP or Browser ID nor will we ever attempt to identify the individuals behind these survey responses.
What is the legal basis for processing personal information?
The lawful basis for our processing of personal information is that it is necessary for the purposes of our legitimate interest in conducting a statutory consultation in connection with developing and progressing our plans for the proposed expansion of Heathrow airport.
We are further using your personal information as necessary in order to fulfil our statutory obligations under planning law. We may use your personal data in exceptional circumstances where necessary for our legitimate interests to ensure the safety of our staff.
How long will Heathrow keep my information?
If you submit a response to the Airport Expansion Consultation, your information will be retained until the outcome of the Development Consent process is complete. If consent is granted, your information will be retained until the proposed development is operational. Access to personal information will be restricted only to those who have a legitimate interest in seeing it.
What rights do I have over my personal data?
Under the GDPR and the Data Protection Act 2018, you have the right to:
- Obtain a copy of the personal data we hold about you by making a subject access request.
- Ask us to correct any incorrect information we hold about you.
- Ask us to delete any of your personal information which we no longer have a legitimate reason for keeping.
- Restrict the processing of your information if we are using it for a purpose other than for which it was originally collected.
- Object to the processing of your information where this is justified.
- Withdraw consent for the processing of your information where this is justified, and we have no other legitimate grounds for processing it.
To exercise your rights in respect of your data, please contact the Heathrow Data Protection Officer using the following contact details:
By email to: [email protected]
By post to:
Office of the DPO,
Heathrow Airport Ltd,
The Compass Centre,
What if I find your response unsatisfactory?
Should you find our response unsatisfactory, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the UK’s supervisory authority for information rights – the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO). You can find more information on the ICO website:
Privacy and Cookies
What are cookies?
The privacy of your information is important to us and so we want to keep you well informed about cookies. We shall continue to work on initiatives in relation to recent cookie legislation to ensure you have the best experience when visiting our websites.
The different types of cookies we use?
Heathrow use the following categories of cookies on our websites:
Strictly necessary – These cookies are essential for certain features of our websites to work. These cookies do not record identifiable personal information and we do not need your consent to place these cookies on your device. Without these cookies some services you have asked for cannot be provided.
Performance – These cookies are used to collect anonymous information about how you use our websites. This information is used to help us improve our websites and understand how effective our adverts are. In some case we use trusted third parties to collect this information for us but they only use the information for the purposes explained. By using our websites, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.
Functionality – These cookies are used to provide services or remember settings to enhance your visit for example text size or other preferences. The information these cookies collect is anonymous and does not enable us to track your browsing activity on other websites. By using our websites, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.
Targeting and Advertising – These cookies are used by trusted third parties to deliver adverts more relevant to you and your interests. They are also used to limit the number of times you see an advertisement as well as help measure the effectiveness of the advertising campaign. Information contained in these cookies is anonymous and doesn’t contain your personal information. To find out more about cookies used for targeting and advertising follow www.youronlinechoices.com and www.networkadvertising.org or contact us at [email protected] for further information about the trusted third parties we use.
If you’d prefer to restrict, block or delete cookies from Heathrow and our third party advertisers, or any other website, you can use your browser to do this. Each browser is different, so check the ‘Help’ menu of your particular browser to learn how to change your cookie preferences. If you choose to disable all cookies we cannot guarantee the performance of our websites and some features may not work as expected.
Changes to this privacy notice
We will keep this privacy notice under regular review. At the start of this privacy notice we will tell you when it was last updated.